Indian street food has always been my favorite. All Indian street food has my heart like chaats, sandwiches, pani puri or Bhelpuri. In sandwiches, all sandwiches are my most favorite. Today I am going to share the best recipe of my city Surat. This sandwich calls Hasti Sandwich. This is so simple but very very delicious sandwich you will ever try. I will show step by step recipe for this Hasti Sandwich.
Hasti Sandwich is very popular in all over Surat, Gujarat. If you ever visit to Gujarat in Surat City, must try this Hasti Sandwich. This Hasti Sandwich is so simple and made with only few ingredients. This Hasti sandwich is as popular as other Indian street sandwiches. This Sandwich usually they toast in a stove top toaster and that gives phenomenal taste of this sandwich. If you don’t have that stove top sandwich maker you can use any griller, panini maker or sandwich maker.
Hasti Sandwich is so easy and simple to make. This sandwich made of cabbage, green pepper, onion and cilantro. There are no more spices need for this sandwich. The main ingredient of this sandwich is spicy tangy Mint cilantro Chutney ( https://flavorsofmykitchen.com/2023/02/27/green-chutney-cilantro-chutney-for-chaat/). The only spices can be used in this sandwich is Black pepper powder, salt and sandwich masala.
How to Make Hasti Sandwich?
To make this Hasti Sandwich we need fine chopped cabbage, Green pepper and onion. We need only these vegetables and in addition we need chopped tomatoes as well. If you like spicy you can add chopped green chilies as well too. These vegetables do not need to be cooked. If you are not eating Onion don’t mix all ingredients. You can skip onion if you are Jain.
Ingredients For This Sandwich :
Bread Slices: For this Sandwich you can use any type of white bread. If you want to try any healthy version you can use whole wheat bread too. I personally prefer to use white bread. I like Pepperidge Farm butter bread (https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/product/butter-bread/).
Butter: Butter can be used on both sides of bread. Apply butter before you apply green chutney and when you toast the sandwich apply at that time.
Vegetables: Here we use chopped cabbage, chopped green pepper, chopped onions, cilantro and chopped tomatoes. Do not mix all vegetables ahead of time. Mix green pepper, cabbage and onion when you are ready to make sandwiches. Do not add tomatoes into thi otherwise it will make stuffing soggy.
Green Chutney: Cilantro green chutney is the main key of any sandwiches. I have recipe link for this green chutney (https://flavorsofmykitchen.com/2023/02/27/green-chutney-cilantro-chutney-for-chaat/)
Spices: Here we need only few spices like black pepper powder, salt and sandwich masala. Do not add spices ahead of time or else it will lose water.
Cheese: I would prefer to use Mozzarella cheese. I like to use Amul Cheese in this.
Method To make Hasti Sandwich:
- First prepare the veggies for this sandwich. Chop Finely Cabbage, green pepper , onion and tomatoes. In a mixing Bowl add chopped cabbage, green pepper and Onion and cilantro.
- Add Black pepper powder into this, sandwich masala and salt. Mix this well and keep it aside.
- Note: Do not add spice ahead of time because it will leave water and the stuffing will get soggy.
- Now Prepare Green chutney for this. I always make this chutney in a big batch and freeze it. Here is the recipe of green chutney (https://flavorsofmykitchen.com/2023/02/27/green-chutney-cilantro-chutney-for-chaat/).
- Take two slices of breads here. Apply butter on both slices. Apply green chutney and now add stuffing. Add chopped tomatoed and sprinkle chaat masala or sandwich masala onto it. Add some amul cheese on it.
- Repeat the same process of applying butter and green chutney on second slice of bread. Now cover this bread.
- Apply butter in a sandwich toaster or griller and toast the sandwich both sides. If you are using stove top sandwich toaster apply butter in both side and put the sandwich into it and then toast on both sides.
- If you are using Panini Maker or griller you can do the same thing apply butter and grill this sandwich.
- After it toasted, take it out . Cut it in between and serve hot with green chutney and ketch up.