Appe or Appam are bite sized dumplings, made in Appe Pan. These are non fried low in oil healthy snack that can be made be with using lot of vegetables and savory.Jump to Recipe
Making Traditionally Appe need a bit of pre- Preparation (fermented batter of lentil and rice) or leftover Idli/Dosa Batter. But these Instant Appe can be made without soaking, grinding and fermenting. It can be made under 30 minutes.
You may like these too:
Semolina (cream of wheat) is a very commonly used and easily available ingredient in most of the Indian households. In North India it is known as Sooji and used for making the popular Sooji ka Halwa and other variety of sweet and savory snacks like mathari, Namakpare, Sooji toast. It is also added to Kachori and Mathri Dough to make it more Crispy and crunchy. In southern and western India, is mainly referred as Rava and is used widely in making Pongal, upam, rava ladoo. Instant Idli and many more other dishes.
I use sooji in my cooking lot of time. I make so many easy healthy delicious recipes from this sooji for my kids lunchboxes like sooji chilla, sooji appe, Upma and Idli.
Ingredients for Instant Sooji Beetroot Appe
For Instant Appe I use semolina and yogurt/ Curd along with fruit salt that acts as the living agent and makes the appe soft , light and fluffy. One can add any kind of veggies to appe batter( Grates/ pureed/ very finely chopped ). These add on the taste, crunch and nutrition of the dish.
Sooji Or Rava: Sooji is main ingredients to make this instant appe. If you are looking for instant recipe, sooji is perfect which doesn’t need to be soaked, grind or fermentation.
Yogurt or Curd: For instant Appe yogurt is the key which act as instant fermentation without any fermentation. You can use greek yogurt into this too which is high in protein and calcium.
Puree: Here you can add any vegetable puree like spinach, carrot or beetroot. I have made this beetroot appe by using beetroot puree. I steamed beetroot and then made puree from it. Add this puree to batter.
Spices: Here i used only salt because i made for kids. If you are making for adult you can add chopped green chilies and ginger too.
Vegetables: You can add any veggies of your choices. I have added chopped spinach, carrots, green pepper and onion . You can add corn as well.
Tadka: For tadka i use oil, mustard seeds, urad dal and asafetida.
Fruit salt or Eno: Fruit salt is act as living agent which can be used for any instant recipes. Fruit salt makes appe soft, spongy light and fluffy.
- For this Instant Beetroot Sooji Appe we need to take Sooji in a mixing bowl by adding yogurt. Here I have made beetroot Sooji appe so i made beetroot puree for this.
- Steam beetroot and then make a puree from it. Add this puree into the sooji yogurt and make a batter. Add water and always add water according to Sooji. Because sooji absorb water.
- Make batter and cover it and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In mean time prepare all veggies which you like to add in this Appe. I have added chopped spinach, carrots, onion and green pepper. you can add green chilies to if you are not making for kids.
- After 10 minutes add all the veggies into the batter, add salt into it. Mix it well and pour tadka.
- Heat the appe pan. Add few drop of oil and mustard seeds. Add fruit salt into batter and stir immediately.
- After adding fruit salt pour the batter immediately inot pan. Cover it and cook it.
- Flip it and cook another side too. When it;s cooked both sides, serve hot with Cilantro Coconut Chutney or tomato chutney or ketchup.
These are ideal for quick breakfast, kids lunchboxes or snacks or starter with some spicy chutney.