Mattar paneer is a delicious Indian curry recipe made with peas and a soft cheese called paneer (although tofu is a good substitute). The sauce is similar to a butter chicken sauce and is so tasty. We’ve simplified the cooking method to make it easy to make and it is every bit as good as any restaurant mattar paneer! You may like to see Palak paneer recipe too.
Paneer curry is so popular in all over India and all Indian restaurants. Curry can be served with any Basmati rice, Jeera rice or Naan, Paratha.
Mattar paneer, matar paneer, or mutter paneer, no matter how you spell it one thing is for certain … it’s delicious!
But most mattar paneer recipes border on too complicated to try to make at home. Which is silly because we’ve figured out how to streamline the cooking process into just 4 steps so that it’s easy to make.
Matar Paneer is one of the most popular paneer recipes where paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and matar (green peas) are simmered together in a luscious gravy made with tomatoes, onions and spices.
Creamy and luscious Matar Paneer is one of the most popular paneer dishes! Soft paneer and sweet green peas are cooked in a onion-tomato gravy with spices. This vegetarian curry tastes best with fresh rotis!
My Kids love all Paneer dishes so i always like to make different Paneer recipes. This 20 minutes Mutter Paneer recipe is really simple and easy to make and trust me it turned out so so good and delicious.
- oil or ghee
- cumin seeds
- garlic roughly chopped
- green chili
- red chili powder
- garam masala
- cumin coriander powder
- salt to taste
PS: If using store bought paneer, soak in warm water for 20 minutes before you begin the recipe. Also soak frozen green peas in warm water for 10 minutes before using in the recipe.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pot/pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add green cardamoms, peppercorns and cumin seeds. Saute until the spices are fragrant and the cumin seeds sizzle for few seconds.
- Then add the chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chili.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the onions are light brown and soft.
- Then add in the tomatoes and mix.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for 6 to 7 minutes until the tomatoes are really soft.
- Remove pan from heat and let the mixture cool down a bit.
- Once it has cooled down a little, transfer to a blender.
- And grind to a smooth paste. Set it aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee (or oil) in a pan on medium heat. Add bay leaf and then add the red chili powder.
- Saute for few seconds until you see a nice bright red color.
- Then add in the prepared onion-tomato paste back into the pan and mix well.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, cumin powder, turmeric, salt and sugar (if using). Mix well and cook the spices for one minute.
- Add cream into this and mix it well.
- Then add water to the pan and let it come to a boil.
- Add the paneer cubes and green peas peas. Stir and then cover the pan. Let it simmer for 6 to 7 minutes on medium heat.
- Sprinkle some garam masala on top.
Garnish with cilantro and serve matar paneer with some warm rotis or parathas!
Leave a Reply