Surti Locho as name reflects is specialty of surat. In the morning, many stalls sell this locho to go with tea and enjoyed by many workers. This recipe is similar to Khaman or Khamni recipe made by surti people.
If you have ever been to Surat, you must have eaten or been recommended Locho, which is probably the most famous snack of the city. Locho is a lip-smacking snack made with chana dal, which is steamed to form a soft mixture that is served with sev, onion and mint chutney. It is said that Locho was an accidental invention by a person who was actually trying to prepare Khaman. After steaming the Khaman, he realised that the batter had extra water because of which the Khaman did not hold shape and turned into a mushy mixture.
He then thought of selling this mixture to his customers and surprisingly, this dish was an instant hit. Because of this unplanned invention, this dish got the name of Locho and has now become Surat’s most famous snack. If you are fond of the lip-smacking Gujarati cuisine, then you need to try this super easy recipe at home.
Here is how you can make it with just a handful of ingredients. Do try this Locho recipe, rate it and let us know how it turned out to be.
What is Surti Locho ?
Surti locho is similar to Surti Khaman or Khaman Dhokla just a little bit of difference into them. Surti locho batter is little watery than the Khaman Dhokla batter. Surti locho is very healthy and delicious and it can be served with green chutney which is special chutney for this locho and a main ingredient. With sev and side of onions.
- 1 cup of chana dal
- 1/4 cup of urad dal (optional)
- 2 tbsp of poha
- Ginger chili paste
- Plain yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Fruit salt
- Locha masala
✅ Locho Masala :
- 1/2 tsp of pepper powde
- 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of black salt
- Pinch of chaat masal
- Handful of cilantro
- Half cup of spinach
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp of Sugar
- Khaman or locho piece
- Green chili
- Ice cubes
- Soak the chanan dal and urad dal for 5-6 hrs. Soak the poha for 10 minutes.
- Grind all the soaked items with sour curd and the required quantity of water into a smooth batter-like consistency.
- Measure and take 2 cups of batter in a mixing bowl. Then add green chilli paste, ginger paste, turmeric powder, asafetida, salt, and oil to the batter. Mix everything well.
- Then add 2 cups of water and make the pouring consistency of the batter.
- Preheat the steamer with a greased plate for 5 minutes.
- Just before steaming add the eno fruit salt and stir it.
- Spread a thin layer of batter into preheated steamer plate. Sprinkle pepper powder and red chili powder on it.
Green Locho Chutney Method:
- Take handful of cilantro and half cup of spinach into a blender.
- Add green chili into it. Add small piece of Khaman or locho , add ice cubes into it and grind it well.
- Add salt to taste and 2 tbsp of sugar into it. Mix it well and serve this with Hot Locho.
- Locho batter should be little watery consistency than Khaman which makes locho very soft and yummy.
- Poha makes locho soft so you can omit urad dal too.
- Adding ice in green chutney can keep the bright green color of chutney.