Dahi vada is a type of chaat originating from the Indian subcontinent and popular throughout South Asia. It is prepared by soaking vadas in thick dahi.
Fluffy, tender, tangy and sweet dahi vada are a combination of all your favorite flavors and textures in one tasty snack. They consist of homemade fried lentil dumpling fritters, dunked in creamy whipped yogurt and topped with both spicy and sweet chutneys. If you will try my this easy peasy traditional recipe I assure you, you won’t feel regret.
Dahi Vada is also a Chaat which is tangy, sweet and flavorful. You can add this Dahi Vada or Dahi bhalle in your parties or get together as an appetizer. Dahi Vada need only few tips to make it perfectly fully and soft.
About Dahi Wada
Dahi Vada is a popular North Indian street snack. “Dahi” refers to yogurt, while “Vada” refers to deep-fried fritters or dumplings, and the recipe is as simple as it sounds. Fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth vada are topped with simple creamy curd and some basic roasted spice powders.
It is a famous Indian Chaat recipe and very popular street food. During festivals, such as Holi, Diwali, Raksha Bandhan, this popular dish is always on my menu.
The base of a superb Dahi vada recipe is delicate and puffy homemade fried lentil fritters that have been soaked in water, drained, and then topped with whisked curd and spice powders.
While, making Dahi vada takes some time, but just one bite of Dahi vada will assure you that it was well worth the effort. And much of the prep work, such as preparing to roast and grinding spice powder, whisking yogurt, can be done ahead of time.
A perfect dahi vada recipe starts with tender and puffy homemade fried lentil fritters that are soaked in water, drained, and then covered in tangy whipped yogurt.
These fluffy fritters are traditionally made with the ivory colored skinned urad dal, also known as black gram or urad bean or matpe bean.
Generous helpings of both spicy green coriander chutney and sweet tamarind chutney are beautifully drizzled over the top before serving.
The result is an impressive and delicious snack that includes just the right balance of sour, sweet, savory, and spicy flavors in every bite.
Why you Should Make this Recipe?
- Simply Delicious
- Melt in mouth soft & juicy
- Protein Packed
- Gluten free
Pro Tips to make soft Dahi vada
If you want to make perfect dahi wada, every time you make it at home, then do follow some of these basic steps and you would be amazed with the results.
- Soaking Lentis/ dal: Remember to soak the lentils for 4 to 6 hours or overnight to make an excellent soft urad dal vada.
- Blending dal: After soaking, thoroughly combine the urad dal until it is thick, light, and fluffy. And if you’re going to grind the lentils, make sure to use chilled water to avoid overheating the blender. Only add water as needed to prevent the batter from becoming runny. When you pour a lot of water at once, the batter becomes runny. So start with a few tbsp at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Consistency of batter: The vadas will be out of shape, flat, and soak up a lot of oil if the batter is not of dropping consistency. Only by carefully adding water, the dropping consistency can be achieved.
- Aerate the batter: This is the most important stage in making fluffy dahi vada. After combining the batter, circulate it in a circular motion to aerate it. This adds air to the batter, resulting in fluffy dahi vadas. If you’re only making a small batch, you can do it by hand. Use a hand mixer or a stand mixer if you double or triple the recipe.
- 1 Cup Urad dal without skin black lentils
- 1 tsp Ginger
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
To Assemble :
- 4 cups Fresh Curd or as needed
- Black Salt kala namak, to taste
- Cumin Powder freshly roasted
- Red Chilli Powder roasted, to taste
- Salt to taste
- Green chutney Green chutney recipe
- Tamarind chutney
1. Soak the urad dal for 4 hours. After 4 hours wash it and drain it. Take urad dal into a wet grinder. Add ginger and chili. Do not add water. Grind it slowly slowly and do not add water only add if needed.
2. The batter should be thick consistency. Take out batter into a bowl and add salt, cumin seeds. Now whisk the batter atleast for 10 minutes. When you feel the better looks light, take a glass of water and add a little drop of batter into a glass. If you see the batter is on top then you have the perfect batter.
3. Heat the oil. When the oil on perfect temperature put vadas and deep fry them. Take it out and keep it aside for few minutes.
4. Take cold water into a bowl and add all vadas into it. Let it soak for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes squeeze the vadas and transfer into an another bowl.
5. Preparer the yogurt. Take thick homemade yogurt into a bowl. Add salt and sugar into this yogurt and put it aside.
6. Now take a serving bowl. Put vadas. Pour chilled yogurt on vadas. Drizzle green chutney and tamarind chutney. Sprinkle some chaat masala and red chili powder. At last garnish with sev and serve it.
7. Serve this vadas in chilled yogurt. Enjoy in summer time!!
Leave a Reply