Falafel, a staple Middle Eastern dish—and a popular street food around the world—that consists of fried spiced balls or patties of ground chickpeas or fava beans (or a mixture of both) stuffed into a pita or wrapped in laffa bread with hot sauce, tahini sauce, and generally some saladlike combination of tomato, lettuce, onion with yogurt or salad dressing.
Today I have made falafel and pita bread sandwich with falafel, tahini sauce, jalapeños cilantro chutney, hummus and veggies. I always like to include my Indian flavors with any world’s food. And yes by giving a twist my Indian flavors to any other dishes it always turn out amazing.
☑️ Prep Time: 40 minutes
👩🍳 Cook Time: 15 minutes
🍴 servings: 6 persons
🍽Cuisine: Middle Eastern
✍️ Author: Shruti Naik
– 2 cups of overnight soaked chickpeas
-1 cup of roughly chopped parsley
– 1 cup of roughly chopped cilantro
-1/2 cup diced onion
-1 tbsp of salt
-3 cloves of garlic
– 1 tbsp of cumin powder
– 1 or 2 Serrano pepper slit and cut
– 1 tsp of cardamom
1 tsp of black pepper
– 2 tbsp of chickpea flour
– 1 tsp of baking soda
– small cube cut tomatoes, cucumber, onions and lettuce
– tahini sauce (tahini paste, lemon juice, cumin powder, garlic minced)
-jalapeños cilantro chutney
– yogurt + sour cream (with salt, cumin powder and red chili powder).
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight. Next day rinse the chickpeas and transfer it into food processor. Add 1 cup roughly chopped parsley, 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro and 1/2 cup of diced onions.
2. Add 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp of salt, cumin powder, 1 tsp of cardamom, 1tsp of black pepper. Turn on the food processor and blend this. Don’t worry if you see coarse texture. Don’t add water.
3. Grind this until you get all perfect coarse texture. Transfer it into a bowl and cover it and put it in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes take them out. Add 2 tbsp of chickpea flour and 1 tsp of baking soda and mix well. Deep fry them or you can airfry them or you can bake them too.
5. Now for Tahini sauce, take tahini paste 1/2 cup and add 1/4 cup of water, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, sea salt and cumin powder. Blend it and it’s ready.
6. For jalapeños cilantro chutney:
Take handful washed cilantro, 2 jalapeños, 1 tbsp of yogurt, salt, lemon juice, garlic 1 clove. Blend it all together and its ready.
7. For Fattoush salad:
In a bowl take diced cut tomatoes, cucumber and onions and roughly chopped lettuce. For dressing take extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Mix it well and add into the veggies.
8. For yogurt veggie salad:
Take as usual same veggies. Take yogurt + sour cream and add salt, cumin powder and red chili powder and mix it all.
9. Now use pita bread and make your falafel sandwich by using all these ingredients.