Gujarati Methi Thepla, a must try lightly spiced paratha like Indian flat-bread is prepared from wheat flour, fenugreek leaves and other spices. The real secret of mouth-watering taste of methi theplas prepared with this recipe lies in making perfect dough, which has just right balance of spices and fenugreek leaves. The ginger-garlic adds nice little spicy aromatic flavor, while turmeric gives tempting color. With perfectly balanced ingredients, detailed steps and tips provided in this step by step photo recipe, you can make it in less than 30 minutes.
As my family and kids love Thepla, I try to make with lot of veggies. Winter is here and what’s better eating than green leafy veggies. So today I made this Thepla with Palak and Methi which both are very healthy in cold winter days and very nutritious. You can always make Thepla by adding your choice of Veggies. Theplas are very healthy and easy recipe which you can make for your breakfast or kids or adult lunchboxes.
Fenugreek also happens to be quite healthy and is known for helping to reduce inflammation and blood sugar levels. When combined with spices and a blend of whole wheat flour, gram flour and the deep earthy taste of the methi and palak are beautifully balanced.
You can serve this theplas with sweet savory mango pickle or with creamy yogurt. My kids love this with yogurt so i always serve with greek yogurt. I like with athela Marcha or Chili pickle as well. Perfectly Pair with Cup of Masala Chai. I will give you step by step direction of this healthy delicious Methi Palak Thepla.
How do you store fenugreek leaves?
As soon as they are purchased and home you should pluck the leaves from the fenugreek stems. Then thoroughly wash and dry the leaves, and keep them in an airtight container or a zip lock bag in the fridge.
If you can’t find fresh Methi, you can always use frozen methi as well.
- 2 Cups of Whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of gram flour
- ginger chili paste
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1/3 up of methi leaves
- 1/4 cup of spinach
- carom seeds
- 1 tsp of red chili powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp of oil
- water as needed only
- First get the methi leaves ready by cleaning and plucking them. And chopped this fenugreek leaves. Same way do chop the spinach leaves and get that ready.
- In a large mixing bowl add 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1/4 cups of gram flour. Add all the spices red chili powder, salt, carom seeds, sugar per taste, ginger chili paste, sesame seeds and garam masala.
- Add 1 cup of Greek Yogurt or homemade yogurt. Add finely chopped Fenugreek leaves and spinach leaves. Add 2 tbsp of oil. Mix all these ingredients and knead the dough.
- Add water only needed and knead medium soft dough. Cover this dough for 15 minutes.
- Take small medium size of dough and roll the thepla. Roll this not too thin and not too thick. Repeat the same process with other dough.
- Cook this thepla on medium low heat. When one side cooked flip the thepla and let it cook for another side.
- When other side is cooked apply oil one side and flip the and roast it.
- Repeat the same process and serve this thepla.
- You can store this thpela for a week. Serve this with pickle or tea.
For the soft thepla always use more spianch and methis than flour or equal portion.
Yogurt makes thpela soft so try to add yogurt and always add oil less.
If you like any of my recipes leave your comments and follow my blog!
Leave a Reply