Veg Manchurian is a very popular Indo- Chinese Street Food. Veg Manchurian is a widely popular Indo-Chinese dish across India. This dish is made of deep fried mixed vegetable dumplings tossed in Chinese sauces.
Dry Vegetable Manchurian is a very popular recipe across India. It can be found in many Indian restaurants and is commonly served in parties. It is also a very popular street food and spicier version of the dish are available on many road side stalls.
I have made this Veg Dry Manchurian with no Fry version. It turned out not only delicious but healthy and it tastes much batter than restaurants. This is one of my favorite dish of Indo-Chinese. When i was in college I still remember the street of food for all types of food and this one was one of them. My dad always took me there and i always had Veg dry Manchurian and Hakka noodles with the side cabbage salad. No one couldn’t beat the taste of that stall. I always wondered of the process of making this.
Vendors always got ready the balls in advance. So, they just needed to make the gravy for that. But i was so curious for that time so i asked the vendor one time what they used and how? first, he didn’t tell me then i asked so he just explain some ingredients. After so many years after i came here i figured out how to make and trust me it turned just too good.
Veg Manchurian is an addictive Indo-Chinese dish made with wisps of vegetables formed into dumplings and dunked into a sauce that explodes with hot, sweet, sour and salty flavors. It’s a dish you’ll be treating yourself to again and again. Vegan, nut-free and can be gluten-free.
- Veg Manchurian Gravy (With Sauce) – Makes for a tasty Chinese Main Course. Goes best with fried rice, schezwan fried rice or steamed rice.
- Veg Manchurian Dry – An excellent starter snack or as a side dish with hakka noodles or chow mein.
Both the recipes taste good and are shared with step by step photos. You can make either of them as per your choice. Example: you can make veg manchurian dry as a starter snack or veg manchurian gravy for a Chinese main course.
About this recipe
Veg manchurian gravy recipe has a sauce or gravy in which the fried veggies balls are tossed and dunked.
The sauce has a mix of eclectic flavors and tastes like sweet, savory, spicy, sour and umami. The recipe is also vegan.
Manchurian in the Indian lingo is a term for fried veggies or fried meat (fish or prawns or chicken) in this spicy-umami sauce.
You can also call the sauce as manchurian sauce. Manchurian and many other Indian Chinese recipes were an invention of the Chinese community living in Kolkata.
This Chinese style of cooking was largely adapted to suit the Indian palate and also to have more vegetarian options in the cuisine.
◼ Minced Cabbage
◼ minced Carrots – I used my @kitchenaid mini chopper for this and its so good
◼ minces ginger, garlic, green chilies
◼ salt to taste
◼ black pepper
◼ 1 tsp of soy sauce
◼ 1 tsp of red chili sauce
◼ 1/2 tsp of ketch up
◼ green onion
◼ 2 tbso of corn flour
◼ 1 tbsp of all purpose flour
For Dry Gravy sauce :
◼ minced garlic, ginger chili
◼ finely chopped onions
◼ finely chopped green pepper
◼ red chili sauce
◼ soy sauce
◼ schezwan sauce
◼ salt to taste
◼ green onions
◼ corn starch slurry (1 tsp of corn starch + water)
How to make Veg Manchurian Balls?
- Take the veggies of your choice. I took Cabbage, carrots and i chopped them in my mini chopper on pulse mode. I cut green onion separately . you can add green pepper which i only used in gravy sauce
- Pulse it few times or till they are finely chopped or minced.
- Transfer into a mixing bowl. you can add salt and squeeze the extra water. Add salt pepper, minced ginger, garlic and green chilies. Add 1 tsp of soy sauce, red chili sauce and ketchup. (make sure to add salt to taste because soy sauce contains salt )
- Add All purpose flour and corn flour only 2 tbsp. Do not add too much flour or else it will only taste floury.
- Mix all the ingredient together and make small medium sizes of balls. You can keep this in refrigerator for few minutes.
- Deep fry this balls. I used my appe pan to make a healthy version. You can airfry too.
- Take them out when it turned out crispy golden brown.
For Gravy sauce:
- In a pan add some oil. On high flame add minced ginger, chili, garlic. Add chopped onions and green pepper. Saute it for few minutes on high flame.
- I like to add big pieces of green pepper and onion as well. Add it and saute. Add all the sauces like red chili sauce, soy sauce and ketchup.
- Mix this. add little bit of water and salt to taste. Add corn starch slurry. Stir it until i thickened.
- Add all the balls and gently mix it. Garnish with green onions.
Serve this Veg dry Manchurian as a starter and with cabbage salad on side.
IF you are not following my blog yet don’t forget to follow or subscribe.
Leave a Reply